Thursday, July 8, 2010

Kim Hyun Joong Confirmed for Playful Kiss


"Playfull Kiss" is the Korean remake of another Japanese manga, "Itazura na Kiss" (It Started With a Kiss) which just like it's predecessor "Boys Over Flowers" was also a hit drama in Taiwan. I like Kim Hyun Joong (I watched his benefit concert last month here in our country - I'm going to talk about that in another post ^^) but I was thinking DBSK's Changmin would've been a better choice. I know they're both idols and Changmin haven't proven himself yet in any acting job (until Paradise Ranch comes out) but the character somehow fits him perfectly.

I can only wish that Park Shin Hye will get the female lead role. Picking another idol as the female lead will be too risky. It had been proven before that idol fans cannot get the ratings for a drama. It's still the story and acting that keeps the viewers hooked.

Kim Hyun-joong of SS501 has beaten out fellow contenders Jung Yong-hwa and DBSK’s Chang-min for the lead role in Playful Kiss, aka the It Started With a Kiss / Itazura na Kiss remake.

With those options, it seems they were determined to cast an idol-star-turned-newbie-actor, which just confuses me when you’ve got such an open field of talented actors. (Kim Soo-hyun? Ji Chang-wook? Im Joo-hwan?) Aie, what a waste of a director.

According to a rep from Keyeast, Kim’s new management, the contract hasn’t been signed yet, but they’ve made their final decision. The character he plays is “Baek Seung-jo,” who’s the best at everything at his school. There’s nothing he can’t do, and he’s a perfect example of the “eomchinah” — the boy next door all mothers love. He falls for a scatterbrained “Moon Ha-ni,” who has yet to be cast. Top contenders right now are Park Shin-hye, Kara’s Han Seung-yeon, and f(x)’s Sulli. (Man, if they make this an all-idol newbie cast, this may just turn into incredible snark fodder.)

Playful Kiss will air on MBC on Wednesdays and Thursday, and follows the current war drama Road No. 1.

So….. pretty much all of my legitimate interest in this drama is dead. Since the news is apparently final there’s no use crying over it, I suppose, and I’ll try to be open-minded enough to the possibility that Kim has improved since he made his debut role in Boys Before Flowers and murdered the Rui character with his disconnected acting. Hey, Park Shi-yeon started out pretty bad in My Girl and has recently won me over in Coffee House with a much improved performance. (Then again, she has been steadily improving for years, and has taken on many film and drama roles since My Girl five years ago. And even if I can wish for improvement from Kim, I can’t wish him into another person. Booooo.)

credits: dramabeans



Artikel Terkait Korean Drama ,SS501

No comments:

Post a Comment